Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review: "Bollywood Homicide"



Everyone and their mom let me know about the Bollywood episode of Psych that was on last Friday so of course I had to trangle down to Ashley's and watch it on her wall mounted big screen.

Apparently the Indian from Heros was in it. Like I knew, I don't watch popular network television shows (The Office, Glee, cough cough). Anyway, basically this ridiculously good looking Indian man (just the way I like them) is convinced he's cursed after his girlfriend almost gets crushed by a truck. Lassie brings Sean and Gus in to freak them out about the curse. Of course they solve the case.

A GREAT episode, not so great for the Bollywood, but oh for Sean and Gus. Heralding back to the first ridiculously well written season of Psych, this, the fourth season is fantastically quotable. This episode included such gems as "No offence, but you people are just stupid for eating food this hot" and "Indian givers!!". Even though Sean is getting a tad chunky monkey and wears ridiculous man chokers I still love him. And who could forget Gus. And I have a tad crush on Lassie in all his giant crooked-nosed black Irish goodness.

As for the Bollywood, as much as I wish they had miraculously gotten Baby B or Preity, we had to settle for the guy from Heros, who, albeit is a stud muffin in a ridiculously perfect kind of way, was a little too dark and hairy for me (says the girl who's spent 5 months w/ SRK and Hrithik's wheatish bare chests). We must remember though that all Indians portrayed were Indian Americans, haha. The women were very fair, and I do wonder if they were actually Indian (although I'd never guess Preity was if I didn't know).

The costumes were pretty shabby and low-budget, but they WERE working w/ television budgets and not real Bollywood numbers. The Indian girlfriend performed to Aaja Nachle (again, I wish they would have wowed me with a ridiculous dancer a la Madhuri, but alas alack) wearing who knows what, but the backups looked great. Of course the episode ended at the Holi festival where all the costumes were painted with color and lacked the serendipitous splattering of the real deal. Also, Jules' sari was just that, sorry (ew, pun!).

The episode was in fact directed by the brother of the main desi boy character (here) and you can really tell. It had many of the melodramatic and beautiful hallmarks (imagine the scene from above as Sean's pulling the girl out of that hole beautifully shot) of Hindi cinema. The directing wasn't a masterpiece, but it fit the bill.

Overall the actual Bollywood was v. minimal, but done adequately given the resources. The episode as a whole was fantastic.

PS I've updated fashionephemera.

1 comment:

Gwennifer said...

See, I was confused. I thought you were saying "weedish" when you were telling me about this.

"Wheatish", on the other hand, makes WAY more sense.