Thursday, August 20, 2009

In Limbo and loving it!

Ah life. I am no longer in Nebraska. I plan to be away for awhile. School starts in little over a week. After Fall and Winter I'll go to London for Spring, hopefully stay in Europe to work on a film for the rest of the summer, then finish up my Senior year. Right now I'm in the glorious limbo of Boise, ID. I'm visiting and helping out a dear friend and haven't been on the Internet for 4 days! It's really been wonderful actually. I've read a lot and kept busy and all w/o the Internet.

I read Austenland by Shannon Hale. A woman obsessed w/ the idea of Mr. Darcy inherits a 3 week vacation to an Austen retreat that promises love and adventure. At times I thought the author tried too hard (using words like "diction" when "choice of words" would have done just fine), and reading the reviews I thought it wasn't all THAT funny, but it was enjoyable. The character was all too real (watching Colin Firth over and over) and actually likable, although I get in a huff when authors/characters try to use Austenian language/manners and really have no idea. Not that I do, except for I used to/am a complete Anglophile, but come on, not a corset, STAYS, and blah blah, modern girl hates to wear a dress. Of course I always think I could do better in the past than characters that get a chance to. Which makes me sound insane. Anyway, it was fun and worthwhile. Oh!! and it badmouthed Northanger Abbey, EVERYONE badmouths NA, it's a GOOD book. Super clever if not abruptly ended. Henry's a peach and Catherine doesn't deserve him, but HELLO, that's every romance ever. The other Austen references were appreciated though.

I'm now reading a Robin McKinnley dragon novel. I read one in middle school. This is of course another one w/ a ravishingly beautiful tom boy that can slay dragons. I'm sick of tom boy stories, but oh well. This one is keeping me entertained.

My Netflix account is on hold, so no Bollywood recently, but my friend and I have plans to watch RNBDJ on a very LARGE scale. I'm ueber excited.

Project Runway's new season premiered on Lifetime tonight! Basic Cable yay! I watched it with aforementioned friend. I haven't watched it since I actually took pattern making and advanced construction classes. While I could do what they are it wouldn't be too great, just yet.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Glad that you are having a good time. We get to see you very soon. :D