Wednesday, July 22, 2009

BW: Dostana

Dostana deserves its own entry. I was disappointed and shocked at how tacky it was, but I guess I shouldn't have expected much from a movie w/ the same premise as Chuck & Larry.

Abhishek Bachchan plays male nurse Sam, John Abraham plays photographer Kunal. Both are womanizers looking for apartments. They pretend to be gay when Neha (Priyanka Chopra) will only accept female roommates. Of course hijinks arise when they must prove their gay-ness, when other gay men are invited over, when of course they fall in love w/ smokin' hot Neha (just b/c she's hot, no other real reason is given) who falls for her boss (Bobby Deol). I'm not going to lie, I laughed my head off at many parts (mostly Abhishek's b/c he's HILARIOUS and I love him), but mostly the gay jokes were very offensive, to a straight, and I'd assume a gay audience. Blatent sexual jokes were no where near the tongue and cheek they were going for half the time, and there's only so much Miami flesh one can stand in 2 hours. I understand this is kind of a big deal in Indian cinema b/c of the sexuality issues, but I don't think such a tacky film will persuade many to one side or the other of the issue.

Good things a/b this film:
Abhishek, so endearing and attractive
Boman Irani playing Neha's gay boss, only b/c it was such a change from his character in Don

Really awful things a/b this film:
John Abraham having the gawl to reinact SRK/Kajol scenes from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai w/ Priyanka, who do they think they are?!
Sam and Kunal's ethics all together.

No comments: