Thursday, July 2, 2009

Grad School!

So I have two years left at BYU, but it's never too soon to look at grad schools right? I don't know why I chose today necessarily to pick up the search, but looking at UCLA after finding out I didn't get many dollars from BYU for next year does not pick up my spirits much and I am aware of how skewed of an idea of the cost of college BYU students have.

Anyway, I pretty much need to choose btwn theatre and film costuming before I choose a graduate program. A couple of months ago I was leaning heavily towards theatre costuming b/c there are a lot more places in the country w/ theatres whereas film is concentrated in L.A. and New York and it's a lot more family friendly (as fam friendly as the either industry can be). But then Bollywood hit! and why not work film internationally even? Bollywood aside though, film is looking more and more appealing to me and I toats need to try it out before I make a decision.

I was looking at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champagne (or is it Champagne-Urbana?). My sister got her Masters in German from the UofI and is currently getting her PhD from there as well. Right now this looks good for theatre studies. Its facilities and program is comparable to BYU's. Its senior professor taught my associate dean and costume professor, but he's retiring soon and there is a hiring freeze....I like Illinois, the campus is beautiful and Champagne-Urbana is a nice place to live. Chicago is fairly close and in the end I could stick around and still be close to home.

For film I've discovered that Deborah Landis (of Thriller costuming fame, among many other things) is Co-Chair or something of the costume design program at UCLA. She also has mad theatre cred so this is looking very desirable. I'm not too keen on living in California for the time it'd take to get my MFA, but I think there'd be a more fun, diverse set of people at UCLA. Also, as far as leaving the feeding grounds of BYU goes, California would have more marital prospects for me than Illinois (believe me, I've been to Whit's ward...).

Of course this is still a ways away, but I'm kind of feeling like I'm very close to being done w/ BYU. I do have two years, but check it:
Fall '09 almost finish w/ gen eds minus a dance class etc.
Winter '10: do my own show in the Margettes!
Spring '10: London! my last English credit and one of my last Theatre requireds
Summer '10: Intern in L.A. on a set, or try to get on a Bollywood set
Fall & Winter '10 and '11: Have my senior show, finish up my last little requirements. As it stands I think I'll only have like 4 required classes to take my senior year...
April '11: GRADUATE!!

I mean, it's two years but I'll be busy and it'll be over before I know it!

3 comments:

dolce vita said...

You are going to design the lehenga cholis for my wedding. I've decided.

Shelby said...

I'm really glad you're not all that Indian, b/c I don't have the best creative eye for that stuff yet. How Indian designers can manage so much glitz I might never know...but I can try :)

dolce vita said...

The best thing to do might be to get an in with the Little India in NYC or something...or Edison, NJ, and find someone who can teach you authentic clothing construction.

I'm certain we have a book somewhere in the house....I'll find it.