Thursday, July 30, 2009

BW: Bride and Prejudice, Luck By Chance & indian food

I saw Bride & Prejudice when it came out and I remember disliking it for being almost one thing but not quite another. I had no idea what Hindi cinema really was at the time, but I knew that B&P was awkward b/c it wasn't Bollywood enough. It just made me uneasy. Five years out and it still does. Sarah, whom I've been educating as far as I can in Hindi films, insisted on seeing this so I put it in my queue.
Non-boat floaters (I've chosen not to say "bad things" b/c to each his own, whereas the floating of one's boat is completely individual):
English; some how super cheesy songs work if they're in Hindi, they're excruciating in English
Darcy; Sarah and I agreed that Martin Henderson was, like the film, almost one thing but not quite another, these things being Matthew McConaughey and Luke Wilson
no shirt but slacks pool side; overall the western costumes were pretty disastrous, the main issue being fitting
Ashanti's Hindi= horrible.
Boat Floaters:
Anupam Kher as Mr. Bennet. I can't think of a better actor to play this role.
The overall family dynamic in general, they got the Bennets pretty dead on.
Kholi, an amazing take on an amazing character, priceless. Also, his Ammer-ik-an accent he uses once in L.A. "Mr. Darrrrcy"
Wickham: he was disgustingly perfect as the epic sleazebag
Amritsar: I'm learning that I really enjoy Punjabi locales; big fan of salwar kameezes.

So bottom line, not a bad adaptation of the orginal. Also not a bad try to get Western audiences interested in Hindi films, but I think it'd leave a lot of people more confused than anything, as to what was Austenian satire and what were Hindi hallmarks. Good for a laugh. It's a conversation movie (meaning you don't miss much if you engage in conversation during it).

Luck By Chance: A struggling and aspiring young couple tries to make it in Film City.
I REALLY liked this one because...
a) I love looks backstage/behind the lens
b) I recognized the Heck out of all the cameos
c) SRK descends from on high to impart his sage-like wisdom when the hero's being a real dirt-bag
d) the ending was fantastic
e) it was a fun but serious look at the conflicts between old and new ways of thinking (old v. new bollywood) and also a good look at the cut throat arena of film. I'm so glad I want to be behind the camera only and not have to fight my way to be in front of it.
f) Konkona Sen Sharma as the lead female was precious. She was gorgeous but real.
e) They gave due nods to not just the actors and directors. Manish Malhotra made an appearance and costumes were discussed numerous times.
Point of Interest: Isha Sharvani playing the Bollywood princess, had THE most translucent, fair skin I've ever seen on an Indian or probably anyone. Kind of unbelievable.

I really want to learn to make Indian food, but don't know the name of any Indian dishes besides curry and naan. I'm interested in expanding my cooking capabilities in general, but ingredients are so expensive! I think it'd be fun to learn more about regional internat'l dishes, like gumbo is from the Louisiana area, Maryland has crabs and Philly has cheese steaks. All I know is that I get really hungry when they have meals in Hindi films.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I think I watched maybe a half an hour of that movie a long time ago...I couldn't watch anymore.