Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Fourth & BW: Don '78

I spent the past two days painting trim @ Riss' house. She was kind enough to let me watch Don w/ Big B on her big screen yesterday. The children were kind of alarmed at how long it went. "How long is this movie?"
"Very"
"Is it going to be over soon?"
"Probably not"
Ellie Belle watched most of it with me actually. I asked her what was going on and she said that there were Happy People and Bad People and the Bad People were doing Bad Things. I paused it and asked if Vijay (when we was playing Don) was a Bad Person or a Happy Person. She said he was a Bad Person, tricked her! but then she corrected herself and said that he was a Happy Person. Smart girl. I asked her if the movie was in English and she said that it was. Apparently she's so smart Hindi gets filtered through her genius 3 year old brain and turns into English. She's cute.

Don was pretty fabulous; much better than almost all the movies that came out of Bollywood in the 70s. It had a fluidity, vibrancy and intrigue that the Bonds of that decade severely lacked. I mean, it's dated for sure, but so much better than any of the Roger Moores. It was interesting that there was little to no Indian identity in it. No saris, a few dhotis, but really it was straight up gansta. Amitabh rocked.

The Fourth was celebrated w/ a BBQ, Wipeout, and mild fireworks at Jer's. We then went to The Parents and watched the ridiculous show our three neighbors went in on. TRUNKS full of fireworks. Pretty fishing fantastic. We had a prime spot on our street to catch their show, Yankee Hill's and whatever funtimes happened to the north. I love everyone's Staycations and their need to escape from the recession through colorful explosives. No doubt the best Fourth I've seen.

No comments: