Wednesday, October 14, 2009

OPERA

Instead of being at work right now, I've been trying to do my homework, and it's done...for the most part.
Last night was the first dress rehearsal for Tales of Hoffman, our fall opera. I think in all it has around 60 cast members, which is unheard of. Last year Don Giovanni had maybe 30, as did Millie. Also last year, Don Giovanni's first dress went pretty badly. The performers were hard to train to be theatre people and the rehearsal started an hour late and went on forever. I didn't have high hopes for this year's opera and was gearing up for a long night. Said night started at 5 for me (I'd already worked 2 hours yesterday morning to get ready for it). The performers (I'd say actors, but they're not, they're vocal performers for the most part) were to arrive at 5.30, but most didn't get there until 6 or so. However, I was pleasantly surprised when the show started around 7.20, when 7 was our goal, not bad. The show ran smoothly, there were many many stops, but all in all no costume disasters. Even though the show is projected to run 2.5 hours, somehow it stretched until a quarter to midnight. Huh...
All in all the performers were pretty great and my dressers were fantastic. I can't really give an opinion on the opera in general b/c I didn't really watch it, and had no idea what was happening, but it sure looked great.
I got home a little after midnight and was in bed by one. I didn't do any homework yesterday and since I can't go over 20/week for work I opted out of working today so I could do my homework. Tonight I'll do makeup hours for the opera from 6-8, then I have a production meeting from 8-11. How excited!!
I'm most excited for the Hoffman potluck at work this Friday, with French food!!

3 comments:

AMODINI said...

Your courses and work sound really interesting - what exactly is this ? An under-grad degree ? What's it called ?

Shelby said...

I'm getting my undergrad in Theatre Arts Studies with my emphasis in costume design. I'm also the wardrobe supervisor at my university, so working dress rehearsals is actually my job. I also work in the costume shop during the day at a stitcher.

here's a link to my other blog w/ my creds:
http://fashionephemera.blogspot.com/2009/07/about-me-and-this-blog.html

Ashley said...

I don't think I could watch an opera. Barf.