Monday, June 1, 2009

BW: हिन्दी (Hindi)

I've decided to teach myself Hindi, at least until I can take Hindi 101 Fall of my senior year. I've been reading up on it a little online and it already makes more sense, like I guessed that "hai" which they say at the end of a lot of sentences, was something akin to a present or past tense verb like sein in German, or -ed in English, and I was right! "Hai" is "is". I'm so cool! And I always got confused about ladki (girl) being pronounced lar(w/ a roll)ki, but turns out there's a "d" in Hindi that's most like an "r" w/ a little "d" at the end.

I was watching a conversation w/ SRK and Anushka Sharma (my age, grrrr) on the Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi extras and she kept switching from Hindi to English while he spoke in Hindi. At one point he chided her and told her to speak in Hindi. She tried so hard, but slipped back into English and he'd remind her again, and eventually he was correcting her Hindi and helping her w/ her sentence structures. She'd get a lot of Hindi out and slip in English words, and he'd tell her the Hindi words. It was funny. Eventually she got so flustered she stayed in English and he spoke in Hindi. By the end they were both speaking English. Pretty handy for me. They mentioned DDLJ a lot, but I still can't for the life of me pronounce the full title. It's not easy like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (Something (Kuch) is (Hai) Happening (Hota)) or Main (I'm) Hoon Na (Here Now).

Anydoctorwho (which club I should pay more attention to since I'm now the president), that's all. A lot of Bollywood babble my family doesn't appreciate. Oh! Also, Urdu is Pakistani Hindi, so Ali could toats help me out. I'll put a "BW" in front of entries I guess that are more that 70% Bollywood so you don't have to bother if you don't care, you uncultered swine.

1 comment:

dolce vita said...

Shelb, I love how you know more Hindi than I do.