Monday, June 15, 2009

I'm coming home!!!

On Friday!



Isn't that exciting?! I haven't really been thinking about it too much. My life's just been going and going on the same way for two months that it's kind of weird that I won't be in Provo soon. I like Provo, I like college. I like the pace of life right now. Work is enough work, school is enough school, I get plenty of leisure time. I don't want to start again w/ the hectic-ness of Fall semester in 8 weeks. Oh well. It has to happen sometime. I love my major and my life right now!!!! Like I've mentioned, I get paid to preserve antique clothing! It is so fulfilling, and educational. I've learned so much from Mary and Jayne Anne. I love to learn!!! I can't wait to take the History of Costume class in the Fall where I'll be able to think of actual garments I've handled when I learn about gigot sleeves and the shoulder seam shift of the 20s (pre 1920 shoulder seams were behind the natural shoulder, also, hangers weren't used until the 20s!). I'm going to miss the costume shop working too b/c poor poor Marth is going to be all alone, and she's my new costume shop bestie. She's great.



I'm half way done w/ my undergrad everyone!!! I'm actually becoming a costume designer and constructor! I finished my lined jacket in Advanced Clothing Construction today. I'll post some pictures later. It's so BALLIN'!!! Brown wool w/ brown/blue/white plaid accents (kimno gussets, upper and under collar BOUND buttonholes, covered buttons, welt pockets). I made a Vintage Vogue pattern. It turned out AMAZING!! I'm quite the little seamstress. I expect high marks. But yeah, that gets me interested in construction, the antiques get me interested in costume history and historical construction, I'm interested in hand work like beading and embroidery, I'm interested in Theatre costuming because it's more real and attainable, but I'm interested in film costuming because the medium reaches more people and the costumes are more honest. I just want to try everything!





Anyway, I might be able to help out Melissa this summer, otherwise I'll just be working for Colette the last weeks before Fall starts. I'm planning on a lot of sewing, designing projects, and working hard-core on my Hindi. I've been setting aside what I need to pack and I keep having to tell myself that it's not cool at night in NE. It's ALWAYS hot. Oh my poor cardigans. I don't care though, I'm bringing my shawls.

Shelby out.

No comments: