Sunday, February 1, 2009

Because I'm just a babyduck following behind...

1.:.I don’t really know how tall I am. I have some idea that I’m over 5’10 ½”, but I haven’t really measured since then. That was years ago and I’m positive I’ve had growth spurts since. I tell people I’m almost 6’.
2.:.For all the romantic literature and movies I watch, I have a very realistic concept of love and marriage. My friends tell me I should marry a Jane Austen hero, but I have no aspirations higher than meeting a guy at church, falling in love and getting married. I don’t even expect him to be all that tall, although that’s a major preference.
3.:.I want 5-8 kids. I used to think it was a competition and I had to have 9 to beat mom, but I know better now. Some mothers I know are interested to see if these numbers will change after I’ve experienced pregnancy, I don’t foresee that they will.
4.:.My roommates and I have had a communal Sunday dinner since Freshman year. If you eat our food, you have to share a random fact about yourself. I also impose Luke family dinner rules about everyone being served w/ their plates on the table before you can eat.
5.:.As flighty of a reputation as I’ve received, I think I’m very well grounded and capable. I’m working my way through college and am very well established in my major. I will graduate on time.
6.:. I can use a table, circular, band and jigsaw proficiently. I can also use nail guns, screw guns and drills. Give me any other power tool, show me how to use it and I will be happy too. I love power tools.
7.:. My friends tell me I’ll be famous someday for my designs, but I really don’t aspire, or plan to be. This may sound unambitious, but I count it as being realistic. I want to be a mom more than I want to be famous. I do foresee making gowns etc. for some brides or friends for a little extra dough. That would make me happy.
8.:.My plans: Get my Bachelors from BYU, get a masters somewhere, go to fashion school then work internationally. ..or Continue with my education until I get married, get at least a bachelors, then have lots of babies and make excellent Halloween costumes where ever my husband gets a job.
9.:. I love thunderstorms because my mom woke up all the kids one night to watch a huge storm through our front picture window. We all cuddled in our quilts and it was great.
10.:. I’ve been an aunt since I was 10. I was always upset that Caitlin could babysit our oldest niece and I couldn’t. Eventually mom made Caitlin take me with her when she babysat. By the end of high school I was a highly sought after babysitter. I now only babysit for a couple of families outside of my own. I really like to babysit; it’s like being a trial mom.
11.:.My nick-names include, Shelb, Belb, Bel, Belby, Shel, Shel Shel, Shelby-Lou, Shleck, Schleckindepoken, Shelbinatrix, Shelbinator, Grandma, and Princess (that one’s a joke). When were little Marisa called Logan Fred (and still does) and I was jealous so I made her call me Bob. It didn’t last long.
12.:. I bit the fingers and toes off of all my Barbies. I bit Prince Eric’s nose off and Princess Jasmin’s earrings off. Caitlin and I used to take naps in our doll house.
13.:. My all time favorite game is Catch Phrase, but I play best with adults because we think the same. I also rock at regular Scene It even though I’ve barely seen any of the movies. I won the one and only game of Trivial Pursuit I’ve ever played.
14.:.I read all the Jane Austens before I was 16, but truth be told, haven’t reread any of them completely since. I only read the best parts again. I’ve also read one of each Bronte, Charlotte’s my favorite, Emily’s on crack and Anne tries to be somewhere in between.
15.:. When I was a kid I wanted to be a vet (then remembered I hated animals) an Egyptologist, a jocky, gymnast, and figure skater (too tall for those three by twelve). I decided to be a costume designer my Freshman year in high school after watching Daniel Deronda on Masterpiece Theatre. Turns out I’ve been designing and researching costumes my whole life, and I love the theatre and movies.
16.:. People assume I’ve read a lot of books, but I’ve read very few. Between Masterpiece Theatre and Wishbone, I’ve just gained a vast knowledge of literary classics.
17.:. When I was little, BYU was the place that Nebraska girls went but never came back from because they got married right away. I never wanted to go here because I was convinced that would happen to me and I’d never go back to Nebraska.
18.:. I work in a basement and live in a basement and practically sleep in a basement. My major is very demanding. I was associate designer for Thoroughly Modern Millie recently. At its peak I spent 11 of 13 hours on campus in the basement of the Fine Arts Center.
19.:. My worst nightmare was when my daddy died and the earth went black and white and never laughed again. There was a shot of the “camera” panning out on a black and white earth in silence. I woke up crying.
20.:.I’ve been to two rodeos in my life and LOVE them. I want a pair of cowboy boots, but have been informed by a real cowboy that real cowboys/girls only wear round-toed boots, which I think are ugly as the day is long. Because I refuse to be too much of a poser, I refuse to buy the cute pointed boots, so I am bootless.
21.:.Almost 4 years ago I spent a summer in Salinas, CA living with my brother’s in-laws and working at the Western Stage Theatre’s costume shop. It was one of the best summers of my life. I want to go back.
22.:.My dream play to costume/see is Arcadia by Tom Stoppard. If I had a time machine I’d go back and watch 1993’s original production with Rufus Sewell and Bill Nighy.
23.:. I’d love to get married in 2010 because that would make anniversary math very easy.
24.:.I hate cold cereal. I’m very rarely ever in the mood for it. I chalk this up to the fact that we stopped making hot breakfasts when I entered high school and we had cereal everyday. I also get bored of food very quickly, and considering the fact that cereal gets soggy doesn’t recommend it.
25.:.I’ve kept a journal every night, except for when I had migraines, since May 2003. I’m now on my thirteenth volume.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Wow! your memory and thoughtful insight into life never ceases to amaze me. Your "flakiness" is simply a brain working faster than any other part of you, especially your mouth can catch up. (excuse the poor sentence structure please).