Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Day After Sarah's Birthday

Today Deanne gave me a stitching job! I sewed two panchos together. She's been giving me more complicated things to do. This could be because there are really no repairs or alterations for MacBeth, which I'm a stitcher for, so there are more builds that need to be worked on, or she trusts me to do more stuff. Yesterday she let me cut the chest peice/cross over thing for MacBeth's feathered cape from the mock up and pin it on the cape. That's pretty special. I'd like to think I'm getting better. I hope to get pretty good so I can be a first hand maybe someday. First hands cut the fabric from the mock up patterns and actually build main pieces.

MacBeth also has a lot of crafts that I'm to do some of. One is to attach more feathers to MacBeth's cape. Crafts are fun because there's a lot of designing involved since there aren't patterns or anything.

Speaking of patterns, I'm doing pretty well in my pattern making class. It kind of blows my mind that I'm actually becoming a costume designer! We've learned flat patterning with bodices and skirts so far. We work off of size 12 slopers which are very close to my size, so the skirts I've been cutting patterns for would work for me. I drafted my pleated skirt to be my size because drafting was easier than using a sloper. For my designed skirt I'm cutting the pattern I'll be using for my creative project for my Isaiah class. Of course I'd make a costume piece from a doctrine of Isaiah.

This weekend with Shannon and the Herricks was so much fun! It was great to be around NE people in a big family atmosphere, almost just like home. And the baby was cute too. Turns out Shannon's blind date that Jill set her up on was with Tim from the Doctor Who Club, and Shannon's cousin on her mom's side is Elder Flint from the Yankee Hill and Beatrice wards! He got off a month ago. Funny to see him again. He asked about you Riss :)

Classes are great, I'm keeping up with everything. The place I want to live for Spring only offers Spring/Summer contracts. I'm supposed to call back at the end of February, but housing will probably be full by then. I'm pretty sure most complexes have S/S contracts and kids just chance it if they stay for only Spring and hope that someone will buy their contract. We'll have to see what I end up doing...living with Ashley and commuting everyday...? haha, probably not.

2 comments:

MOM said...

Sorry I missed your call!! I'll be home tomorrow except for class from 11:45-1:40. All my love and hugs!

Gwennifer said...

You know when smart sciency kids get all excited when they start using big words like endoplasmic reticulum and molecular dichotomy or whatever, and you sort of have to just blink and try to keep your brain from melting out of your ears?

I feel that way when you talk about costumes.