Wednesday, May 12, 2010

London: observances 1

-Men are much more attractive here.
-People run places for transport. They don't do this for exercise. It seems like their train of thought is, "I'm going to walk to work, but if I run it'll be faster!". This works here because the weather is cold and those who run don't sweat.
-Sexy dads push the strollers. Very sexy dads push the strollers.
-People says "Cheers" in any and all circumstances, for example instead of hello, thank you, sorry, excuse me and so forth. I think it's kind of like bitte in German.
-I said this before, but am mentioning it again, cashiers at grocery stores, gift shops and box office people all seem rather sad and disinterested. I feel like when I smile and say hi to them they don't appreciate it as much as they should. I miss my favorite cashier named Charles from Smith's. I've seen that man have a whole grumpy conversation with a coworker between customers and be beaming w/ glee when I come up. That's how it should be London, happy customer service people!
-I now know why the likes of Mr. Woodhouse would constantly worry about drafts. Buildings are not sound here. They are cold and the sounds of the street come in as if you had no front wall.
-When you take the tube all the time you don't realize how close things are.
-It's a long walk from High Street Kensington to the London Eye.

2 Grievances only:
I can never get my barrings.
The second hand smoke is having a noticeable effect on my respiratory system.
Oh...and the grumpy cashiers thing.

3 comments:

dolce vita said...

Yeah, do a lot of people smoke there? I've always had this vision of England being a bunch of adorable British smokers

Shelby said...

I don't know if the smokers are necessarily the British people, but there are quite a few smokers. But keep in mind I've lived in UT for 3 years and smoke free NE before that so any amount is too much for me.

Amy said...

hot men + strollers... no scratch that. MOST men + stroller = HOT!