Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In London!!

I left for the airport at 6.30 am Provo time, took off at 10 am, landed at JFK at 4.45 pm, took off at 6.30pm and landed in London at 7 am!!! Luckily I had no problem sleeping on the plane so I have yet to feel all that tired even though technically I haven't been to bed for over 24 hours.

My flight out of SLC had about 40 kids that were going to Jerusalem on it and about 20 kids going to London, whether London Centre or London Theatre. The flights weren't bad. I'd never had an airplane meal before and I must say it was rather delish. I watched The Young Victoria at the beginning of my second flight. It was pretty great. Not amazing, but it had pretty costumes and true love so of course I liked it.

At Heathrow our rag-tag bunch of theatre kids took the express to Paddington and then caught a cab. We learned that you have to be quick when getting on the express because if you don't jump on you'd better just wait for the next one. I was probably in the airport and on the express before I could see London for real for about an hour and a half.

The only picture I've taken so far is from our cab. Red Light Indicates Doors are Secure is an Arctic Monkeys song. I had no idea. After checking in at our flats which are on the SW corner of Hyde Park I unpacked and went on a Boots excursion w/ some kids. Boots is like Walgreens FYI. Before going to said Boots which is just 5 blocks down the way we hit up the Kensington Tube stop to get our tube passes which they gave us in bright yellow IKEA deals. Pretty great. We all got toiletries at Boots which was just off the Kensington station and then trekked a little further to go to Tesco which is a grocery store. I've now showered and am blogging.

Things I've noticed so far:
I've only heard probably 3 or 4 British accents so far, our cab driver, my tube pass giver...the lady at Tesco and a woman we asked for directions from on the street. Other than that, airport people, Boots person, tons of people on the street have any and all accents other than British

People are very stylish or very grubby here, well, British looking people. The locals, they're so trendy.

The people at Boots and Tesco and just customer service people in general just seem tired.

Hyde Park is out my front window!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You have got to take better pictures than that. :P