Friday, November 13, 2009

Water 3+ years later.

Little did I realize when I watched Krrish 7 months ago that it was in fact not the first Hindi movie I'd seen. I don't say Bollywood b/c Water, the movie I rewatched tonight after 3+ years at International Cinema is not Bollywood, but is still in Hindi.

Sarah and I had a mad summer attending many indie films at the Ross Theatre back home in Lincoln once upon a time. The summer was of 2006 and we experienced John Abraham and little Chuhiya together. We were blown away, by the themes, the story, the acting and of course, John Abraham.

Three years later I am still v. impressed, but like the movie for much different reasons. I will say that the acting is much shallower than I'd originally thought, but the story overall seemed a little rushed, or rather short for a Hindi film, so that might have had something to do with it. I could swear the announcer at IC said it was 170 minutes, which isn't far fetched for a Hindi film, but it ended after two hours!! I couldn't exactly remember what all happened, but all the sudden we're chasing Gandhi's train and it's over!!

Anyway, so yeah. Now that I've seen John in other things, I'm not a huge fan, mainly b/c he's too hairless and musclebound, but even though we had to believe in the "falling for a girl merely b/c she's beautiful and pious" schpiel, I still found him endearing, and loved his dhotis.

Meanwhile I'm pretty sure (I'm too lazy to imdb right now) that the music was done by the same guy who did Jodhaa Akbar and Slumdog. I don't remember what I thought of the music when I first watched Water but I sure liked it this time.

Before Water I watched 2 1/2 hours of Army of Shadows, in French about resistance in France during WWII. It was labeled War Noir or something. I wasn't blown away, but it wasn't bad, although those I watched it with labeled it as the worst movie they'd ever seen. They've never experienced Brazilian realism, or whatever wacked out Italian movie Genevieve and I watched last year.

4 comments:

MOM said...

Where on earth did you pick up that horrible piece of grammar "all the sudden"? You've certainly never heard such butchery @ home; the phrase is "all of a sudden". You have truly become a Nebraskan.

Gwennifer said...

I believe the soundtrack magician you're searching for is A.R. Rahman. He's pretty much a genius.

Ashley said...

Shelby constantly butchers the language. At least in written form. And when did you become so boring and watch such horribly lame movies? Were you not around when we watched great movies growing up like Indiana Jones and Back to the Future?

Brittani said...

maybe just because I am not smart enough all I got was that a man was too hairless and too muscley. I love how you are like NO OTHER girl shelb. :) You just are drumming your own beat and I must say I am appreciating it!