Sunday, November 23, 2008

Schtuff

I had my first Mrs. Meers fitting on Friday morning. I felt like such a pro! I'm not though, I didn't know entirely what I was doing, but the wonderful costume shop ladies helped me a ton! In case you don't know, Mrs. Meers is the villain of Thoroughly Modern Millie for which I am assistant designing. Mrs. Meers, her henchmen, Bun Foo and Ching Ho, and the male chorus are my responsibility. More specifically, I am designing Mrs. Meers. The mock up for her robe was done on Wednesday, hence the fitting on Friday. Mrs. Meers is an ex-actress that now runs a hotel in 1920s New York for aspiring actresses. She ships her tennants to China for white slavery. Because she's a wash up, and is pretending to be Chinese, but has no idea what she's doing, her costume is very horrible and fabulous. She's wearing an electric blue robe thing we pulled, and the robe I designed that has a huge Snow White collar. The main fabric is black with medalion things on it, but from concert hall it'll look likegiant polka dots!!!! She's getting extra lace on her pettipants and slip because she's still a diva on the inside. You'll see this when she does her kicks. For her last scene she is in her night things. She'll wear a nightgown that I'll bedeck w/ gobs of lace like late Victorian actresses wore, just gobs and gobs, and an Asian robe we found that's quite beautiful, but alas and alack, it is my job to cover it in horrible pieces of feather boa, like Meers is trying to look good. She'll also wear fuzzy feather slippers that make her feet indistinguishable. I'm really excited because I get to build her robe and add all the extra crap to her other pieces!!!

On a different note, Nevada was looking iffy w/
Cole, but it's officially a go. I'm very excited.

I got a good grade on my rough sketches for Twelfth Night. I only got one point off for unprofessional titles. poop.

Right now I'm trying to find the version of The Magic Flute we've been watching in German. It's really good and I like it, but I can't find it.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Hi Shelb! Yeah, so what's the deal? Is Cole coming or not, mom said no on Sunday. I bet I can find you a copy of the magic flute...our library has everything!
When do you go back to BYU? I got a ticket to visit Ashley Jan 6-10.

Ashley said...

I guess that is a no to coming to my house. :(